Coffee is a beverage made by brewing roasted seeds from the coffea plant. Coffee is favored for it's high caffeine content, which has the effect of making a person feel more awake and focused. The discovery of coffee expedited subsequent scientific discoveries.
Preparing coffee requires ground, roasted coffee beans, referred to as "grounds". The beans are widely available roasted, and can be purchased ground, though whole beans can also be purchased and ground at home. The beans are then brewed with hot water, usually with the assistance of a "coffee machine" designed for that purpose.
Coffee is usually served hot, and often with added sugar or creamer for palletability.
There are a number of variations to the coffee recipe:
- Americano - Espresso with added hot water. This is similar to regular coffee in strength, but has a distinct taste.
- Cappuccino - An espresso base with hot milk and a foam of steamed milk.
- Espresso - An espresso is an Italian variation of coffee that brews nearly-boiling water through finely ground beans. It is slightly thicker than regular coffee, and has a higher concentration of caffeine than most coffees. There are a number of variations with espresso as an ingredient.
- Iced coffee - Iced coffee is any coffee (such as latte, mocha, or drip coffee with creamer) served cold with ice. Iced coffee is often topped with whipped cream.
- Latte - A mixture of espresso with steamed milk.
- Macchiato - An espresso with a small amount of milk. The main difference between these espresso variants seems to be the amount of added milk.
- Mocha - Hot chocolate with espresso added.